Qualifying Continuing Education (CE) requires the principles and rules in the Standards of Professional Responsibility for CFP® Professionals and FPSC Level 1® Certificants in Financial Planning (Standards of Professional Responsibility).
Qualifying CE must:
- be developed and taught by individuals who possess the CFP credential or who possess related work experience and familiarity with FPSC’s Standards of Professional Responsibility and their application;
- be application-based (commonly delivered by such means as discussion, debate, storytelling, case studies and role-plays, as examples) and in the case of self-study courses, include an assessment asking students to specifically apply rules and principles;
- include specific application of FPSC® Code of Ethics and FPSC® Rules of Conduct at a minimum, but may also include application of the FPSC® Fitness Standards and FPSC® Financial Planning Practice Standards and associated guidance; and
- correctly apply the Standards of Professional Responsibility to examples or scenarios of ethical dilemmas faced in the practice of financial planning
CE activity submissions that focus only on direct knowledge or rote memorization of the Standards of Professional Responsibility without application or demonstrated understanding, will not qualify.
In addition, CE providers must:
- refrain from speaking on behalf of or giving the impression that they speak for FPSC; and
- include the following disclaimer in written or verbal form at the beginning of any FPSC-Approved CE activity (for online/self-study courses, the disclaimer must be provided in writing at the beginning of the course):
This CE activity has been approved by Financial Planning Standards Council (FPSC®) as meeting the minimum requirements for CE Approval as outlined within the FPSC Continuing Education Guidelines. The views and opinions expressed in this presentation are those of the presenter/content author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Financial Planning Standards Council (FPSC).
- In-person workshop where participants review examples of ethical dilemmas that financial planners may encounter and how the Standards of Professional Responsibility apply.
- Online, self-directed course where learners are asked to review examples of ethical dilemmas that financial planners may encounter and are asked to contemplate, through interactive online activities or assessment, how the Standards of Professional Responsibility of Conduct may apply.
FAQ: Professional Responsibility CE Requirements
- In-person compliance workshop that provides an update on the regulatory environment and outlines mutual fund and securities regulation for advisors, but does not apply the FPSC® Code of Ethics and FPSC® Rules of Conduct to examples or scenarios of ethical dilemmas faced in the practice.
- Online, self-directed course that presents and explains the FPSC® Code of Ethics and FPSC® Rules of Conduct but does not apply them to examples or scenarios of ethical dilemmas that advisors may encounter in practice.
- In-person or online course that applies the FPSC® Code of Ethics to examples or scenarios of ethical dilemmas faced in the practice but does not apply the FPSC® Rules of Conduct.